Saturday, December 25, 2010

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Weekend Crash Course



Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Weekend Crash Course
| 2001-10-01 00:00:00 | | 509 | SQL Server


Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Weekend Crash Course includes 30 sessions on the key aspects of Microsoft SQL Server 2000. Each session is designed to take 30 minutes to complete, so the Crash Course is an intense 15-hour learning period. You can complete the Crash Course over a weekend -- but you can also easily adapt the Crash Course sessions to whatever schedule best suits your needs.

User review
Great and easy to understand
If you just starting out or need to refresh your memory -- this is the book.

Recomend it together with Beginning SQL Server 2005 Programming by Robert Vieira (WROX)

User review
All content removed from CD, only SQL server remains
I bought this book because it advertised that examples and code were on the included CD. Wiley (current publisher)has apparently removed the content without removing the promise of content in the book, on the cover, or in the advertising. I tried to contact Wiley and the author, but got no response from either. Lack of promised content makes this book useless as a weekend crash course.

User review
Hope this author never works on my Database -
Admittedly I do have a fair amount of programming skills. Albeit not specifically in SQL server, but enough to understand most programming syntax and business logic. By page 83 where the author finally begins his first programming lesson he has his first typographical error. A typo in a line of program code is like a surgeon saying, `oh darn` during open-heart surgery. A typo present in an example line of program code for a student is disastrous. As I said I do have prior programming language experience so it might be a bit easier for me than most who purchase this `piece of work` book to correct the authors mistakes. I can only imagine the frustration a novice will have when they type in WORD FOR WORD the example program and receive nothing but error messages.


In all fairness I have not finished the book. In fact I gave up on his book half way though. I did go back and count the corrections I penciled in over his program errors, both in Syntax and Logic, to discover 16 blatant errors by page 132.


One thing ever programmer knows is that we test and retest our code before release into a production environment. I would expect the same of an author of technical manuals. Like I said, `Hope this author never works on my Database`.



User review
Great book for beginners! Covers good topics Concisely!
This book ideal for:

1) Those who do not know SQL at all.

2) Those who knows SQL little but want to learn more but quick and easy way.

3) Those who do want to know what SQL can do can not do.


This book is highly recommended. It teaches you quickly and easily. This book do not claim that they will make you mater in two days but they do teach you everything they can and quick and easy way. This book does provide some good references and covers all the quick points about SQL. I have really read this book in weekend and I learn myself from the point where this books ends.


Pinal Dave (Macromedia Certified Advanced ColdFusion MX Developer)

User review
Lives up to its promise
Lives up to its promise: introduction ito MSSQL Server, no less, no more.

I moved from Oracle and was somehow confused by the `database`, `filegroups` etc.

I've got my answers here (and from couple more titles, to be sure)

I neither had problems with instalation, nor with running the examples (save for one: the

chapter on cursor sports keyword DEALLOCATED, has to be - DEALLOCATE; had to check BOL on that)

The Transact-SQL examples could be better (I know PL/SQL, so I had some base here), but again

the book does not claim to teach T-SQL,,

The code snippets sometime seem to be taken out of the contexts of bigger procedures, and

I had to figure out how to fit them in; the usp_FindFactorial example seems too complex for

the task it solves (it uses intermediate table to accumulate results

instead of calling itself recursively; should it then be a function?),

but my understanding is that the elegancy was sacrificed to cram in more techniques than requred.

My examples did run correctly, though

After I was through with the book, I had to buy an additional one on Transact-SQL

(IMHO: O'Reily's book Transact-SQL Programming did NOT live up to my expectattions

and the publisher's reputation; I used Sam's T-SQl in 21 days, and then Ken Henderson's book)

To sum up: if you are new to SQL server, and find yourself

somewhat overwhelmed by the Books-On-line style

(comes free with every MSSQL Server installation), get this book

NB: better download new installation from microsoft site; the one included with the book does not have latest security patches)




Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download