Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Nutrition and Pregnancy: A Complete Guide from Preconception to Postdelivery



Nutrition and Pregnancy: A Complete Guide from Preconception to Postdelivery
Judith E. Brown | 1900-01-01 00:00:00 | Lowell House | 269 | Nutrition
Eating a wholesome, well-balanced diet is one of the most precious gifts that a pregnant mother can give to her unborn baby. By maintaining good nutrition before, during, and after pregnancy, a mother will help her child begin life with a healthy advantage. This is a step-by-step guide to achieving that goal. It provides information on a pregnant woman's increased demand for calories, nutrients and wholesome foods and how to ensure the delivery of a healthy, well-nourished baby.
Reviews
I could not have been more disappointed in this stupid stupid book. I purchased it during my first trimester and could not believe how worthless it was. Essentially, the book's mantra is "follow the food pyramid." What to eat in the second trimester? "Follow the food pyramid!" What to eat post-partum? "Follow the food pyramid!" They could have simply printed a one-sentence flashcard rather than a book. The book lacked detail and cohesion. It was poorly written and simply annoying. Any single issue of any pregnancy magazine can give you every bit of information offered in this useless book.
Reviews
Don't waste your money. My book will immediately be placed in the Goodwill sack.
Reviews
Don't waste your money. My book will immediately be placed in the Goodwill sack.
Reviews
I bought this book when I was about a month pregnant and I haven't been able to use it once. It's not written in an organized manner, the diets they suggest are too hard to follow and unrealistic for the average working woman. I was also looking for a month by month suggestion of what to eat or even by trimester and this book didn't have it. It's too complicated. I was better off just asking my doctor.
Reviews
I got this book as a preface to actually getting pregnant in an effort to improve my eating habits. Much to my delight, I found that this book was very easy to read, extremely informative, and overall, just made very good sense. It's a great basic, "bottom-line" outline of the types of things a woman (from pre-pregnancy through post-delivery) needs to eat, and why eating these things is important. Knowing the "why" part was of great help to me.

Despite feeling like I was well versed on nutritional needs before picking up this book, I most certainly learned quite a bit. I feel like it will become a very useful reference guide for me through my pregnancy and beyond. From the pre-pregancy standpoint, I have already begun to lose some weight and feel much more energetic. Hopefully this is a change for life!

My one criticism of this book is that the author seems to downplay the importance of taking a prenatal vitamin. To some extent that concerns me only because I wonder if I'm truly getting all of the minerals and vitamins necessary for a healthy pregnancy in my normal diet, regardless of how hard I try. Therefore, I strongly suggest, as did the author, that any woman reading this book use it in conjuction with advice from her own doctor.

Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download